venerdì 13 luglio 2007

Munger Questions!



If you have a question about living in Munger this year, leave them in a comment on this post. I've lived there for the past two years and done everything with the dorm so I can answer pretty much any question you have.MegClass of 2007

21 commenti:

loretto4ka ha detto...

Hey! You responded to my post in the wellesleyblue community about Munger. I was just looking at the floorplan someone got for me, and I have a question.What is the white space next to my room (221)? I'm guessing it's some sort of storage space. Floor plan here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/marakatti/Munger2copy.jpg

ormondsacker ha detto...

The thing with the actual door is the trash room. It's where the main trash cans and recycling bins are. Don't worry. It won't make your room smell or anything! The thing that appears to be just a little box behind your closet is the old garbage chute. It's not in use anymore but I guess it's still on the floor plans. You have pretty decently sized room for a first year double in Munger (it could be a lot worse, let me tell you). And, you're practically right across from the kitchen and elevator so it's convienent. Your window also looks right onto the courtyard and that's much better than the other side of the long hall that looks right onto Rte. 135 and the commuter rail. The 2nd floor's a good place to be. I lived in 245 (a great room, if you can get it) this last year and it was nice. I don't know who your RA will be since ShaQuan usually decides over the summer where people are to be placed. I do know some cool juniors and seniors will also be on the 2nd floor and are super-friendly and always around.Also, if you're worried about the size/space of the room, don't be. You'll figure out the best way to re-arrange the furniture to maximize space and all occupants of doubles in Munger get a little storage closet in the hallway 1 per room. It's really handy for putting things like jackets and suitcases and seasonal things in. They're key-locked and you and your roommate only have one key to it but it's really a nice thing.I assume that since you know your room assignment already, you also know who your roommate is. I highly encourage you to contact her and get to know her a little before you get to Wellesley. Figure out the things like "do we want a rug?" or "do we want a mini-fridge?" or "do you have any allergies?" or "how big is the fan that you're bringing?" (note: fans are a must. you have probably heard this before but I cannot stress it enough. the first 3-ish weeks will be unbearable without one or two between the two of you. i'm at wellesley this summer and broke down and bought a second, larger fan because it's so hot) and things like that that will make it so much easier for you when you move in. Especially because you'll both probably be toting at least one parent/guardian etc. to move in and that can get hectic. Really. Now, I hope that I have answered your question and more. If you have anything else, don't hesitate to ask. I have notification turned on so whenever anyone comments on this post, I'll get an email about it.Have a good summer, and maybe I'll meet you in person in August.Meg

kamchatskaya ha detto...

My roommate and I are in 102 so I know where we are based on the second floor floorplan, but where are the doors to the outside world? Also I saw a post that there is no longer a dining hall in Munger, fact or fiction? Last question: are there pathways from Munger to the academic quad which aren't shown on the map?Deb

jas777 ha detto...

Here's the layout of the first floor: First FloorThe door in the bottom-center is the main door that leads out to Rte. 135. The door that leads out the back out the "west hall" (which we call the west living room) goes out into the courtyard and then you can go down the steps and down the path that leads directly up the back of the academic quad. It's really a handy path and one of the only straight shots anywhere on campus! Here's a crude diagram of the path: Path This general campus map is a terrible clue of how the campus really looks. It's only good for showing the placement of buildings but there are so many little paths and whatnot that aren't on here that are really great and you'll just have to see them when you get to campus. Also, all other doors on the first floor diagram that seem to lead outside are emergency exits only, and there's also a door that leads outside from the basement but it's hardly used because you can only go out of it from inside the building (not enter it from outside) and you have to swipe your card to get out (which can be a pain).As for the dining hall. No, there is not a working dining hall in Munger. The last time it was used was when the class of 2005 were first years and then it closed. However, this should not be a deterrent from living there because a) the quad has 3 dining halls that are all accessable with a 2 minute walk, b) the room that used to be the dining hall is now called "the space" and it's a great place for studying, hanging out with friends, watching TV (there's one down there), exercising on the elipticals (which are also there), and almsot anything else, c) you can still go to breakfast in your pyjamas in the quad ebcause no one cares.I hope this helped, and feel free to ask anything else!Meg

drewfighter ha detto...

thanks so much, I'll forward this to my roommate so we both have an idea of what it will be like to live in Munger.Deb

vatman ha detto...

Floors: hardwood floors in the rooms and the main living room. The hallways and stairwells are carpeted as well as the east and west living rooms. Bathrooms, as I'm sure you've guessed, are tiled. Parts of the basement are just cement floors, and the space is linoleum. Flooring aisde, I do find that a rug is a really nice thing to have in your room. I didn't bring one with me but my roommate and I got one within the first week of being in our room. I would recommend also waiting to see how big your room actually is/where your furniture is to get one or two if you prefer smaller rugs. Also, bring a tape measure. You can buy them for less than $5 (you won't need one longer htan 15-20') and they're incredibly useful for things like measuring your furniture and the walls so you can see if things will fit where you want them before you lug them around.Other interesting tidbits...hm...some of these might be redundant from other posts or other things you've heard, but I'll repeat them because they're important and someone else might not have heard them before:-Quarters are like gold bullion on campus. Until they wisen up and make our IDs swipeable at places other than the campus center, quarters are the only way you can pay for doing laudry and there are, like, 3? change machines on campus. My mother makes fun of me for how often I'm complaining that I don't have quaters so she's wound up buying ridiculous amounts ($50) worth of quarters for me so she knows I'm doing laundry and not wallowing in piles of dirty clothes. During/After college, you will have such an appreciation for change it's crazy.-</b>Fans.</b> YOU WILL NEED ONE. That's all I'm saying about that.-Cookery and utensils. Depending on how adept at cooking you are you will need different things. Some people don't have anything but one nalgene bottle while some have woks and blenders. Others just buy a whole lot of plastic silverware and cups and paper plates. During the normal semesters, cooking is fun but most people don't bother with it often ebcause the dining halls are pretty good. During wintersession, however, cooking is pretty much a must because only one dining hall is open and not for long and usually farther than you want to walk in the middle of January. That said, I'll tell you what I have. I really like to cook but don't do it often enough so I have somethings you probably won't need and I might not have somethings that you'll want. Inventory: three sets of forks/knives/spoons, one small paring knife, two plastic dinner plates, two small plastic bowls, one larger plastic bowl, two large plastic glasses, six plastic tumblers, one nalgene, one ceramic mug, two travel mug/thermos things, a mixing bowl, a saucepan, a small pot, set of measuring spoons, one wet measuring cup, and a set of plastic utensils (ladle, whisk, spoon, spatula). Now, I didn't come with all that. I've aquired them over the two years when I needed them and I'll probably continue to do so. I recommend coming with a least a set of silverware, a mug, a plate, and a bowl. This way you won't have a ton of things but you'll have them when you need them (which you probably will at some time).-Sheets. I have two sets of sheets. It comes in handy when you need to clean your sheets but don't have quarters for laundry or something like that, or as my mother first brought up when I asked her why "you never know if some drunk person will throw up on them!" She had an interesting college experience. But in all seriousness, you might spill something on them and can't wash them right away or whatever. You also might come across the fortune as I have (well, it's not exactly fortune, but whatever) of a roommate leaving/switching rooms so you're in a double alone. The extra set of sheets can cover the other bed so it's not a bare mattress and you can have an extra bed for guests or just make it a little couch/daybed thing for lounging.(the rest of my advice is continued in the next post as it is too long for one!)

gaoningenbelgrrde46 ha detto...

-Books. For some reason everyone (including me) has this tendancy to want to bring textbooks from home to school first year in anticipation of needing them. Unless you're bent on studying the obscurest thing possible and you've got a book that is the be-all and end-all word about that, you probably won't need textbooks. You'll get plenty of them here, trust me! On top of that, pretty much any book you might want there's a 90% chance that a) a professor has a copy, b) one of the libraries has a copy, c) a professor or librarian can obtain one for you. Don't waste precious shelve space on textbooks from high school.-Knitting. If you currently know no one under the age of 60 that knits, be prepared. Knitting is an institutional pasttime. You'll see it in large meetings (i.e. house council, CG Senate, etc.), teachers doing it during tests or presenations (Wendy Bauer, astronomy dept. is famous for this), and some people even do it in class (there are huge debates whether this is kosher or not with both profs and students on both sides). If you don't knit now, you'll probably have the urge to learn sometime just to see what's so cool about what everyone is doing. Try it. It's fun. I'm definitely a convert to knitting since college and it's a real stress-reducer which is good for wellesley.-FirstClass, email, livejournal etc... If you're not currently addicted to checking emails etc. every ten minutes, you will be within the first month of school. FirstClass is our email client and you will discover its potential for greatness and wickedness during orientation. You'll probably also get a livejournal if you don't already have one, and double your friends list because so many people at wellesley do some sort of blogging and you'll overhear snippets of conversations such as: "I wrote this on my lj the other day..." "wait, you have a lj? What's your username? I'm so-and-so..." You will be amazed how many times you both hear this and actually find yourself saying it to people you meet.Hm, this is about all for now. I'll post anything else I think of when it happens. However, it's a lot easier to expound on something if someone asks a question (even a stupid sounding one) ebcause then I don't feel like I'm rambling. As you might've noticed from my posts, I'm rather long winded and I type like I talk so I worry about coming across in the right way or if I'm totally yapping away.Meg

rascalflatts017 ha detto...

Hi I'm in Munger 329 next year. I heard it's facing the courtyard and I heard the room next to us is pretty big... does it mean our room is unbearably small? :( Do you think we'll need to bunk beds?

crnucdeohtiger44 ha detto...

Also, do you have a copy of the floor plan for the 3rd floor? Thanks :D

Anonimo ha detto...

Third floor!

lzolotareva ha detto...

The room is not unbearably small. Yes, 331 is a larger room (it was my firstyear room!) but 329 isn't the worst you could've gotten (check out 307 and 341!!) As for bunking, you could go either way. Most people have bunked their beds in those rooms, but that's mainly for floor space. If you're not too concerned with floor space or closer furniture you don't have to bunk the beds.

hteladiesway62 ha detto...

People keep saying that we'll either love or hate Munger, but why? (If you can't answer this, I understand.) Do a certain type of people (introverted, extroverted, studious, partying...) love it and a certain type hate it?Thanks for all information you've posted: it's so helpful!

eclair ha detto...

Yeah, that's the sticky wicket...No one can completely explain what draws or expels people to/from Munger. I find that while there are the quiet studious types, you find these all over campus no matter where you live (well, maybe not Lake House, but you'll learn about that later). Conversely, there are some major party-hard types too. I think the thing that really cements people into the dorm res hall (there's this new thing going on that "a dorm is where you sleep, a residence hall is where you live" whatever) is the interaction between the first years, the res staff and the FYMs in that first week. You'll find out who's living where and about them adn then spend the next month getting to know who they really are (versus the facade or even pretenses of sincerity often displayed during orientation) and if you want to hang out with them or not. FYM groups also can play a crucial role in dorm dis/likes and friend groups. My group of friends in my class were all in the same FYM group and really hit it off and then found out that they all lived in Munger. I wasn't in their group so I met them later, but that's a different story. Anyways, their FYM group also had other people from Munger and the Quad in it and Molly (their FYM who was awesome) also tried to keep a good group dynamic. My FYM on the other hand could've cared less about the group dynamic but was good on an individual basis. So to sum up that ramble, it's really up to chance whether you'll be converted to Mungerism (a term I just coined) or will prefer elsewhere. Also, quick note: there is a middle ground! Some people don't particularly feel one way or the other about Munger but they are in the minority, as most people in wellesley in general tend to have strong opinions about pretty much everything.Hope this cleared up didn't create more confusion surrounding the To Munger or Not To Munger question.

swetlan4ik ha detto...

Ah, thanks for the explanation! That makes sense! :)

renatamcfarland ha detto...

This is an incedibly old website made by a student but it is a little informative and has pictures: Munger

jayeb333 ha detto...

Do Munger rooms generally have desk or floor lamps already in them?

caffeinehighs ha detto...

Floor lamps. However, I recommend getting another lamp (desk, floor, clip-on, or otherwise) or at least different light bulbs because the overhead light and the lamps on together give a hospital-light effect. I call my overhead light "big ugly" or "lamp o'death".

astnsaisrelling ha detto...

Sorry, this is zephryllis. It's my fan fiction journal that I'm currently signed into and forgot about it when posting. So yeah.

bean89red ha detto...

No problem :P I just wanted to know because I was looking at desk lamps the other day but wasn't sure what my room would already have. Thanks for the tip!

homeblog3 ha detto...

In the rooms? Couldn't really tell you as I don't have a TV nor watch much of it at school. We do have a nice TV in the West Living Room and downstairs in the Space if you don't want to bring a TV.

jossupossu1 ha detto...

In the rooms? Couldn't really tell you as I don't have a TV nor watch much of it at school. We do have a nice TV in the West Living Room and downstairs in the Space if you don't want to bring a TV.